Friday, September 6, 2013

DAY 11


Day11

Today we packed out of Cheyenne at 9:30 am and headed south on I-25. Where yesterdays traffic on I-25 was light to none, today traffic increased greatly. The closer we got to Denver the heavier the traffic. Fortunately, our route to I-70 took us out west before we got into Denver proper. The connection with I-70 was smooth and within a short time we left the Denver traffic behind us.

If you have ever wished for a truly scenic interstate highway, then I-70 west of Denver is the answer to your wish. The 240 miles we did on I-70 today got better mile after mile as we traveled west. Mountains, valleys, sweeping curves when climbing out of the valleys and sweeping curves coming down the mountains, it was beautiful. But, the highlight of the day was the Glenwood Canyon section of the highway. Just incredible! Canyon walls rise up on either side of the road as it follows the Colorado River. The road it self runs on two different levels, east bound is just above river level while west bound is supported by viaducts suspended from the mountainside above the east bound road. Toss in a few tunnels and you have the most scenic, exciting and unusual Interstate highway I’ve ever been on.

I can’t offer you any photos as I was too busy driving to take pictures. I sure if you Google Glenwood Canyon you will find lots of pix.

Tonight we are in Grand Junction, CO. Tomorrow we visit Arches National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment